Baila con los Muertos celebrates diversity

A Day of the Dead celebration was hosted in the concourse of the Morrison-Reeves Science Center by the Multicultural Student Union (MSU) on Nov. 2. The event, Baila con los Muertos, started at 8 p.m. and lasted late into the night due to the large turnout of attending students. The event brought in students from all different areas and communities of campus.

“Hosting events that celebrate diversity is important, especially on a campus that is primarily white,” MSU President Danielle Lizarraga.

Both the Día De Los Muertos altar set up by Student Association in the Hazelrigg Student Union and MSU’s event not only brought awareness to an important aspect of Latinx culture to campus, but also brought students together to celebrate diversity in a brand new way this year.

“Many minority students feel marginalized and don’t feel a strong connection because they can’t relate to anything or anyone on campus” Lizarraga said. “Everything we hope to do with our events is about helping in creating connections and relationships between different people to foster a stronger sense of community on campus so that we can all rise and grow together as a community.”

The event also provided dinner. Lizzaraga chose Lina’s Mexican Restaurant located in Grand Island (GI), a place she discovered earlier this year with friends during the GI Pride Festival. The restaurant is family-run, and students attending the event loved the food, according to Lizarraga.

“We wanted to bring as much authenticity as we could into the food and Lina’s restaurant helped us with that,” Lizarraga  said.

Lizarraga and other MSU members began decorating for the event earlier in the day, adorning the railings with streamers, balloons, flags and piñatas. A dance floor was created where Hastings College students could mingle, dance and hit different piñatas stuffed with candy while blindfolded. There were games including cornhole and giant connect-four.

“Hosting events like these helps students connect to someone they wouldn’t have had the chance to meet before. Diversity helps us spread and absorb ideas, thoughts, creativity, and knowledge from others,” Lizarraga said.