Band holds annual fall concert

The Hastings College Band held its fall band concert at the Masonic Temple downtown on Nov. 17. The concert was conducted by Dr. Louie Eckhardt, assistant professor of music and director of bands, and also featured vocal solos from Senior Carly Cremers and Dillon Beede, instructor of voice and choral music. 

The concert opened up with “Diamond Tide,” by Viet Cuong. The piece was inspired by the scientific theory that seas of liquid diamonds exist on Neptune and Uranus. The extreme temperature and pressure found on the planets line up with the necessary requirements to melt diamond, first published in “Nature Physics” in 2010. “Diamond Tide” included a more unique set of instruments, where percussionists filled glasses with water. When played together, the glasses created a chord and could be tilted to play another chord.

The second song, “October,” by Eric Whitacre, was dedicated to HC Alum Dr. Brian Anderson ‘83. He led the effort to commission Whitacre to create the song, according to Eckhardt. Anderson was originally scheduled to guest conduct but had to cancel due to health issues related to a battle with cancer.

The third song, “Fly,” was arranged by Dr. Bobby Fuson, Instructor of Woodwinds, Music Education, Composition and Jazz Band, and Cremers. Cremers sang a solo under her stage name, C.C. Rose. 

The fourth song was “A Winter’s Carol,” arranged by Mark Williams. “A Winter’s Carol” is a rendition of “O Come, O Come, Immanuel,” and was meant to help usher in the holiday season, according to Eckhardt.

The concluding piece was “The Nine,” by Randall Standridge. Before playing the piece, Eckhardt read the program notes from the composer. These notes detailed the history of the Little Rock Central Nine and the integration of schools after the Brown v. Board of Education. The song was commissioned to commemorate the 60th anniversary of Little Rock Central Nine. Beede’s solo opened the piece with a spiritual, “Show Me the Light,” that Standridge composed to go with “The Nine.” At the end of the piece, all instrumentalists in the band joined in for a final repetition of “Show Me the Light.”

Hastings will be able to see multiple HC music ensembles of the department once more before the end of the semester. The Christmas Extravaganza has been rescheduled from Dec. 1 to Dec. 8 and will be at the Masonic Temple in downtown Hastings at 7:30 p.m.