Jazz students from around Hastings stepped onto the stage in the Lynn Farrell Arena to play with two original Blues Brothers band members on April 1 for the Hastings College Jazz Festival Concert

Blue Brothers teach jazz

Jazz students from around Hastings stepped onto the stage in Lynn Farrell Arena to play with two original Blues Brothers band members on April 1 for the Hastings College Jazz Festival Concert.

The band and guest members also held clinics for high school and middle school students in the area.

In a coordinated effort with 20 sponsors, Rick Matticks, music coordinator for Hastings Public Schools, brought Thomas “Bones” Malone and “Blue” Lou Marini — original membersof the Blues Brothers — to HC. Maloneand Marini came with four other guest musicians: Kirk Garrison, Joey Gulizia, Tony Gulizia and Keri Chryst.

“Over the years of teaching, I meta lot of great musicians that are also educators at heart. They want to pass on that knowledge. They want to continue the legacy, and they work great with kids,” Matticks said.

The guest artists held music clinics for the attending high school and middle school bands on Monday, followed by another clinic on Tuesday.

“This one is unusual in that there are so many clinicians at one time ... That made it a little more special than normal,” Marini said.

All artists and six school groups performed a one-and-a-half hour jazz concert including pieces from the movie “The Blues Brothers” and from the band’s other albums.

The groups included the Hastings College Jazz Ensemble, Hastings Public Schools Fifth-grade Jazz Combo, Hastings Middle School Jazz Cats, Hastings Middle School Show Choir, Hastings High School Tiger Jazz Ensemble and Hastings High School Chamber Choir.

“This whole thing is not really about me, it’s really about the kids having a good educational experience, and I think they had a good time last night (at the concert),” Malone said. “So I felt like we did what we came here to do.”

The Blues Brothers were founded in 1978 as part of a musical sketch on “Saturday Night Live.” The band released their first album that year, followed by a movie in 1980. After founding member John Belushi died n 1982, the band continued touring and made a sequel film, “Blues Brothers 2000.”