Class provides holiday cards for elderly

A communications course at Hastings College has paired with Senior Action to provide holiday cards  by setting up a booth in the Hazelrigg Student Union (HSU) lobby where students can write cards for the elderly in the community.  

Senior Action is an organization in Hastings that works to better the community by providing “Meals on Wheels.” This program provides meals for homebound senior citizens who are unable to get out of the house to get something to eat. Volunteers pick up the meals from the nursing home, then take the meals to senior citizens’ homes. 

Cards written at the booth in HSU will be given out to senior citizens with their meals.

“I love seeing HC students involved with the community and seeing them inspired to take community action. These cards show the seniors that people still care about them. It’s really great to see,” said Christine Haba, Senior Action representative.

The event is a recruiting opportunity for Senior Action and Meals on Wheels.

“It is so much fun being able to go by their houses and meet them. It is so fulfilling to be able to see them so happy to see us and so grateful,” said Sophomore Shane Smith, a volunteer for Senior Action.

There are opportunities to get involved with Senior Action and Meals on Wheels in order to aid in delivery and distributing meals in the Hastings community.

The booth will be up until today in the HSU lobby.