Condom grant benefits student body

This fall, Hastings College will be receiving 1,000 new Trojan and Magnum condoms via The Condom Collective. Seniors Kaitlin Bierman and Melissa Loney both applied and received a 500 condom grant as members of Peer HIV Education Organization (PHIVE-O), the HIV/AIDS awareness group on campus. It has expanded into a group that encompasses all issues regarding sexual and reproductive health.

Two years ago, another student received one of these same grants from the same organization. Since those condoms will soon expire, PHIVE-O took it upon themselves to reapply.

The Condom Collective is a part of the Advocates for Youth Foundation, which serves youth advocates across the United States. Each year they give 1,000,000 condoms to colleges across the country. HC will receive a portion of those this year.

This is a new way that HC has started receiving free condoms. The school can receive free condoms from the state that are usually unlubricated, external condoms.

“We realized that when we got Trojan name-brand condoms in the health center, students were more likely to use them. When there was brand recognition, people were into it,” said Loney.

The condoms shipped on Sept. 30 and are on their way to HC. PHIVE-O will have them available to students at all times.

If students wish to pick up free condoms, they can walk in the front door of the Charles L. Stone Health Center, located across the street from Babcock Hall. They will be in the small entryway into the building, which is open 24 hours a day, both in the condom dispenser and in the basket. PHIVE-O is looking into putting condom dispensers in every residence building on campus, so students can always have direct access to these resources.

“This is important, because within the past few years the health center has been going through a lot of shifts with the people who work there, the facilities that it provides and what should be provided by Hastings from the outside,” Loney said.

“By having this be a consistent resource that students have, it’s able to really solidify to the campus and administration that we, as PUN (Peer Umbrella Network) and as PHIVE-O, value students’ health, and we’re going to keep doing that no matter how many changes come about.”