Cross Country hosts Bronco Stampede

With three meets already in the books, the Hastings College Broncos women’s cross country team has dominated it’s competition, winning two meets and placing second in another.

As for the men’s team, they have received two second place finishes and one fourth.

Hastings hosted their home meet (the Bronco Stampede) on Saturday, Sept. 15 at Lake Hastings. Both teams had an advantage running this course because they also practice there.

“I feel like I definitely have an advantage running at our home course because we get to practice on it all the time. You know exactly how the course works, whereas others team might not,” said junior Andru Hansen.

Senior Heidi Hennings has dominated all of the women’s competition so far this season, by placing first at every meet. She has also now set two course records, the first at the Trojan invite and at the Bronco stampede.

“Honestly, beating the course record didn’t even enter my mind until someone said “Hey, good job on beating another course record. I guess now that I look back, it’s pretty cool to have the home course record,” Hennings said. “But, this is only our second year of hosting the home race at Prairie Lake, so I am excited to see the course potential grow. The great thing about this year is that despite the heat, I beat my last year’s winning time, which is always a good feeling.”

In Hennings sophomore season, she placed high enough to travel to nationals. Then in her junior year, she ran on a hurt foot that she got from indoor track season her sophomore year.

“This season, I’m really striving to be my best, because it is my last. This is not to say that I won’t have stiffer competition later on, but hopefully I can at least match it and net the highest place that I can to further my team,” Hennings said.

Now back at  100 percent, Hennings has earned back-to-back Great Plains Athletic Conference (GPAC) Runner of the Week back-to-back. Hennings mentioned that she is trying for an all-time best of 18:08 to finish out her last year strong. Last meet (Bronco Stampede) she finished with a time of 18:48, 40 seconds away from reaching her goal.

The Broncos women’s team is receiving national votes to be in the coach top 25 poll from the recent poll that came out on Sept. 19.

“The team goal for the rest of the season is to be better each performance and run together more cohesively. We are really striving to make nationals, even though we reside in one of the largest and top conferences for cross country nationwide,” Hennings said.

With three more mets before the GPAC championship on Saturday, Nov. 3, there is still a lot of work for the men and women.

“The goal is to keep improving week in and week out. If we can practice on getting better every day, and every week, and we are working our hardest that’s all that really matters,” Hansen said.

Both the men’s and women’s team will travel tomorrow to Crete, NE. to compete at the Dean White Invitational hosted by Doane University. Meet time is set for 10 a.m.