Current state of the Collegian

As I am sure many of you, if not all, are aware that our campus community, along with the rest of the world, is in the middle of an international pandemic due to the onset and viral spread of the Novel Coronavirus, also labeled as COVID-19. 

This pandemic has affected almost every societal institution, communal gathering facility and public venue across the globe, including academic institutions such as Hastings College. During this time, countries, states and cities have issued “shelter-in-place” or complete housing lockdown orders in order to slow and hopefully stop the spread of the COVID-19 virus within their communities — orders that have prompted the closure of physical academic, college and university campuses in the United States and around the globe. 

With this closure, HC has, just as other institutions have, switched learning and operations to online platforms in order to abide by these orders and ensure the safety and health of its students, faculty and staff during this critical time. Students have been and continue to be in the process of moving out of housing, studio, and communal facilities in order to move back home unless other housing accommodations have been made, either because of travel restrictions or stable housing during this time. Students and faculty have shifted to online coursework and assignments, as well as video conferencing to continue “attending” classes taken during this time; while faculty has also worked with staff and administration to shift meetings and campus operations to online platforms in this same way. 

Due to the issue of campus closure, moving needs and the switch to online platform learning and operations, the Collegian too has needed to make adaptations in its operations in order to ensure that it follows through with its duties and purpose that directly impact and aid the students of HC, along with its faculty and staff.

As a student-led news source and publication, it is during this pivotal time in our education that the Collegian continues its operations and provides students with the ability to receive news pertaining to the HC campus and its actions and services — an imperative responsibility even while functioning on a virtual campus. If our institution continues to serve students during this time, then the Collegian must also continue to serve in its roles. 

In order to continue fostering its responsibilities, the Collegian has moved all operations online and will continue to publish through its website venue and on college-issued iPads, as well as maintain its social media platforms, in order to accessibly give students news pertaining to HC specifically. The Collegian staff will cover the actions and services of the college but asks that you stay up-to-date on factual local, state, national and international news sources and publications in relation to current events and the COVID-19 pandemic, as our staff will focus on campus operations specific to its community.

However, with the need to transfer to online production and the closing of campus facilities, the Collegian’s resources are limited along with the possible content it is able to report on and publish on a weekly basis; and if the unnecessity of publication arises, will cease regular operations and issues for the remainder of the semester with the exception of special edition issues. As the Editor-in-Chief of the Collegian, I hope that this need for publication continues and our staff can provide information necessary to students during this time. I ask that anyone with unanswered questions or concerns that have exhausted possible campus resources come to us as we may be able to report these answers for the entire campus community and those who may also have similar thoughts. If there is something that our readers feel the need to have or want to be reported on, they can reach out to us and see what this paper may be able to offer. What news can we continue to offer our readers during these uncertain times?

In these last few weeks on a virtual campus in the wake of an unprecedented moment sure to be recorded in our histories, I hope for all the best during this time and in the coming futures that we may have.