Fall Sports Mid-Season Update

The fall sports regular season schedule has reached the midway point, despite the six championships being moved until the spring semester due to COVID-19 precautions.

Thus far, the Hastings College men’s soccer team has dominated their competition, winning their first six games pretty handily. The Broncos have outscored their opponents, all of which were conference opponents, 26-4.

HC has been led offensively by Lukas Goetz and Tom Steging. Goetz, a sophomore forward from Nordstetten Berufliche, Germany, leads the team in goals (7), points (16), shots (26) and shots-on-goal (17) this year (all stats and information from dakstats.com and hastingsbroncos.com). Steging, a junior forward from Liverpool, England, is second on the team in goals (5), points (13), shots (18) and shots-on-goal (14). Those numbers are all top 10 in the Great Plains Athletic Conference (GPAC) for the season.

As far as women’s soccer, they have also had a good start. They are 6-2 overall, 4-2 in the GPAC, currently sitting third in the conference standings. HC’s two losses have both been one-goal losses, losing to Jamestown 2-1 in double overtime and at Concordia 1-0.

The Broncos have had scoring contributions mainly from two players, Jacqueline Gilbert and Laney Siefken. Gilbert, a junior forward from Chandler, Arizona, leads the team in goals (7), points (15), shots (24) and shots-on-goal (15). Gilbert ranks in the GPAC top five in both goals and points. Siefken, a first-year forward from Papillion, Nebraska, is second on the team in goals (3), shots (18) and shots-on-goal (11). Siefken is also third on the team in points (6).

The HC football team got off to a good start, winning over Dakota Wesleyan 45-7 to begin the season but have since dropped their last three, putting them at 1-3 for seventh place in the GPAC standings. Playing only conference games this fall, HC lost at Concordia 34-28 in overtime, 52-37 against Doane on Homecoming weekend and, most recently, 43-0 at Midland.

So far, HC has had most of its success in the running game. The Broncos rank fourth in the GPAC in rushing with Tyree Nesmith, a senior running back from Baltimore, Maryland, leading the way with 278 rushing yards (3.9 yards per carry) and 9 touchdowns. Those nine touchdowns rank Nesmith tied for second in the GPAC. Defensively, HC has been relying heavily on Tydus Clay, a junior linebacker from Conroe, Texas. Clay leads the team with 9 tackles per game (36 total), which ranks fourth in the GPAC.

For Volleyball, HC has had an up and down year, currently 4-4 overall and 3-3 in the GPAC, putting them in seventh place in the conference standings. With four matches having to be rescheduled following a positive COVID case, HC will have five matches in the span of six days beginning on Oct. 23.

The Broncos have gotten great production from their blockers up front. Sidney Mullin, a junior middle blocker from North Platte, Nebraska, ranks tied for first in the GPAC in blocks per set (1.21), and is tied for ninth in total blocks (41). Amani Monroe, a junior middle hitter from Colorado Springs, Colorado, and Lucy Skoch, a senior right-side hitter from Hastings, Nebraska, are tied for fourth blocks per set (1.18) and tied for eleventh in total blocks (40). Skoch is also tied for ninth in kills per set (2.97).

In Cross Country, the men’s team had their best team result in the second race of the season, which was their home meet (Bronco Stampede). They finished fourth out of five teams (all of the races being an 8K). HC started their season at the Dordt University Golden Prairie Open, finishing seventh out of nine teams. After the Bronco Stampede, they finished seventh out of eight teams at the Morningside Invitational. At their latest meet, the Seminole Valley Stampede, the Broncos only had four of the necessary five runners so they were not qualified to place as a team.

This year for the Broncos, Tatum Jelleberg, a first-year from Mesa, Arizona, had been the top runner. He finished 33rd at Dordt, 14th at the Bronco Stampede and 25th at Morningside, where he finished with a season-best of 26:44.85. Zach Hole, a junior from Wichita, Kansas, has been a reliable number two for the Broncos, finishing 63rd at Dordt, 36th at the Bronco Stampede, 49th at Morningside and 101st at the Seminole Valley Stampede, with a season-best time of 27:45.36 at Morningside.

The Women’s Cross Country team has been very consistent so far, finishing near the top half at all of their four meets (all of the races being a 5K). HC took fifth out of nine teams at the Dordt University Golden Prairie Open. They were third out of five teams at the Bronco Stampede and were fourth out of ten teams at the Morningside Invitational. At their latest meet, the Seminole Valley Stampede, the Broncos took ninth place out of 25 teams.

The Broncos have had great production from Sam Crossett, a senior from Sandpoint, Idaho, who finished in the top ten at the first three meets. She took 9th at Dordt, 2nd at the Bronco Stampede, 6th at Morningside and 17th at the Seminole Valley Stampede. Crossett ran a season-best 18:39.61 at Morningside. Madison Gerkin, a first-year from McCool Junction, Nebraska, has had a strong start to the season as well. She was 27th at Morningside, 7th at the Bronco Stampede, 14th at Morningside and 34th at the Seminole Valley Stampede. Gerken ran a season-best at Morningside with a time of 19:16.20

All teams will compete this weekend, beginning with volleyball on the evening of October 23rd at 7:30 p.m. against Dakota Wesleyan at Lynn Farrell Arena. HC volleyball will also host Jamestown on October 24th at 3 p.m. The Women’s and Men’s Cross Country teams will head to Yankton, South Dakota, for the Mount Mary Invite on the morning of October 24th. The women’s race will start at noon, followed by the men’s race at 12:45 p.m. Football will play Briar Cliff at 1 p.m. on October 24th at Lloyd Wilson Field, followed by Women’s and Men’s soccer against Northwestern, beginning at 5:30 p.m. and 8 p.m.respectively.