Feezell leaving HC for Belmont Abbey

A press release from Belmont Abbey College in Belmont, North Carolina, on March 2 announced the appointment of Dr. Travis Feezell as its college’s new provost; the same day Feezell’s resignation to the Board of Trustees went into effect, stepping down from his position as the President and CEO of Hastings College.

Feezell will actually be returning to Belmont Abbey College, having served as their chair of sport and motorsports management, interim director of athletics, interim chair of business, and special assistant to the president for strategic planning, among other roles in the past.

Feezell announced his decision to leave the college in an email sent to students, faculty and staff on Feb. 28 in order to accept another leadership position in higher education — provost of Belmont Abbey College. However, students of HC were not notified where Feezell had accepted the new position in that email or in a press release provided by HC following the announcement. 

During this time, a presidential transition committee has been appointed in order to assume the operations and responsibilities of Feezell — a decision made by the Board of Trustees to speed up the process of finding another president rather than appointing a single individual interim which has lengthened previous transition periods in the past.

“To ensure that we remain focused on the good work of educating students through this transition, the Board has appointed a transition committee to oversee college operations until a new president is hired. Members of the transition committee are Roger Doerr, chair of the Board of Trustees; Gary Freeman, executive director of the Hastings College Foundation; and Kim Dinsdale, college trustee and chair of the Hastings College Foundation Board of Trustees. I will continue to assist the transition committee through the conclusion of the academic year including participation in this year’s commencement exercises,” Feezell said in the email.

According to Doerr, the start of the process to hire a new president will be discussed during this month’s Board of Trustees’ meeting. 

In an email sent to students on April 3 by the Student Association at the request of the transition committee, students were asked by the committee to fill out a Google Form to provide student input and questions regarding the appointment of HC’s next president.

As of this time, no clear timeline has been presented on when the transition committee will collect applications, announce potential candidates or when they will fill the position.