Four art seniors present thesis

The 2019 senior thesis class presented their lectures on the combinative show, “An Hour of Ignorance,” on April 28, in Wilson Auditorium. The show is exhibited in the Jackson Dinsdale Art Center (JDAC) galleries and includes the works of Seniors Jake Arnett, Jordyn Brandt, Jeric Minton and masters of arts in teaching student Victoria Bowens.

Arnett’s show, “Concrete Universals,” uses  glass sculptures to portray abstract imagery of life and death, time, space and human experiences. These solid glass pieces, made in the glassblowing studio, sit atop mirrors, using their reflective and refractive properties to portray these concepts on a metaphysical level, all addressing philosophical concepts of existentialism.

“A concrete universal is an object that universally represents a certain property or attribute that exists in the physical world … all of this describes the concept behind my body of work, which is comprised of glass sculptures that attempt to create concrete universals of existential properties and concepts,” Arnett said.

Bowens’ show, “Washroom,” uses installation-based work with performance accompaniment, displayed through video projection, in order to portray the vulnerability of people in private settings. Bowens uses the image of a non-binary individual as a tool for promoting inclusivity and empathy amongst people in society.

“Being vulnerable about them is what makes it possible for us to relate to each other on a deeper level. The person in the performance piece is being vulnerable and honest. This is why cis-people can emphasize — not because they know what it is like to be non-binary, but because they are human; they know what it’s like to struggle,” Bowens said.

Brandt’s show, “Sound/Space,” uses the application of painting to connect the shared language between the fields of music and art. These paintings are based on synesthesia, the combination of two or more senses when experiencing something visually, auditorily or tangibly stimulating. 

“Studying both music and art, I started to notice that they have a lot of similarities. In my time at Hastings College, I have been looking for a way that I can merge both music and art, and this was my goal for my senior thesis. In my work, I explore the relationship between music and painting,”
Brandt said.

Minton’s show, “The Red Triangle,” addresses the personal introspection of life through material subject matter. The show’s purpose is to portray enlightenment through aspects of silver motifs in each piece, influenced by the religious practice of Buddhism.

“My thesis represents a meditation on internal dialogue, the strength needed to see ourselves as we truly are, confront our issues and do something about it. I chose large, strong, industrial materials to represent a state of mind,” Minton said.

The show will continue to be on display in the JDAC galleries until the conclusion of this academic school year, closing May 18 at 1 p.m.