HC announces Cooperative Academic Program with UNO, UNMC

Starting with the spring 2021 semester, Hastings College students will now be able to register for classes offered by the University of Nebraska Omaha (UNO) and the University of Nebraska Medical Center (UNMC) as part of a new Cooperative Academic Program (CAP) which is currently in a pilot stage.

“It is our priority to further enhance our strong academic offerings by allowing our students to take courses not offered at Hastings College but that align with career aspirations or meet academic needs as students look to add an emphasis area or apply to graduate or professional programs,” said Executive President Dr. Rich Lloyd in a press release shared by HC and the UNMC Newsroom.

This partnership allows any Hastings student who has completed 32 credits and is in good academic standing to take online and remote courses through UNO and UNMC, provided that they’ve declared a major or minor shared by the institutions. 

Students must have approval from Academic Affairs after determining that the courses offered by UNO or UNMC are necessary to enhance their main education at HC. The courses must also not be offered at HC and fit with the college’s academic schedule and credit limits according to CAP criteria.

After being approved to take CAP courses, students must complete a form from the registrar’s office and sign an information release waiver so that information can be shared between institutions. 

As the program is in development and certain details are still being finalized, it may be different in the Fall 2021 semester. In addition to being fully implemented and more accessible to students, it may also expand to include access to opportunities beyond classes such as internships offered to students of the two universities.

Registration and extra tuition costs will be handled through HC, but students are responsible for materials.

University of Nebraska System President Ted Carter feels that the partnership will strengthen both the public universities and HC. 

“This exciting partnership with HC is one more way we can expand access for students and put our collective strengths to work to meet the urgent needs of our state. It’s a win for Nebraska students, for both our institutions, and for the economic growth and competitiveness of our state. I commend the UNO and UNMC teams for their leadership on this effort, and we look forward to a long and successful collaboration with our Hastings College colleagues,” Carter said.

Any student interested in taking classes through UNO or UNMC should review the appropriate course catalogues and contact their academic advisors as soon as possible before registering for the spring semester. 

This partnership is the second announced by HC in 2020, following the agreement with Mary Lanning Healthcare and Bryan College of Health Sciences.