HC women’s soccer holds third seed

On the evening of Saturday, October 30th, the Hastings College Women’s Soccer team won 4-3 against Dordt University. Finishing off their GPAC conference regular season with eight wins, three losses, and a tie, the Lady Broncos held onto the third seed for the upcoming conference tournament, just edging out Midland.

Before the game, the coaching staff and the rest of the team celebrated the graduating seniors in their last regular-season conference game. This year, the lady Broncos have seven graduating seniors: Holly Bosley #2, Kaitlyn Chavira #11, Irie Elliot #26, Carolyn Hopkins #32, Jackie Gilbert #14, Taren Newman #22, and Ashley Ward #23. All play a considerable role in the women’s soccer program. 

The emotions of the ceremony helped to build the momentum for a quick start to the contest. The Lady Broncos took the fight to Dordt, taking control early and extending their early success to a 4 – 1 lead through 52 minutes. Dordt made the game interesting in the last 25 minutes, but would not be able to damper this night for this team. The team came in intending to leave with a win and did just that.

Coach Jade Ovendale, head coach of the women’s soccer program, states “It was a chaotic finish to the game, but it was great to get the win, especially on senior night. These seniors have had a positive impact on the program, their teammates, campus, and the community. Each of them brings something unique to this team that we will miss dearly.”

The next step for the Lady Broncos is a GPAC quarterfinal match-up against the Concordia University Bulldogs. Hastings needed some late-game magic in a win against the Bulldogs just 2 and a half weeks back. 

The leaders of this team are focused, undeterred, and ready to bring the fight in the GPAC tournament like they brought it against Dordt on senior night. Their will to battle is reflected by two of their seniors:

“Yes, it was great to get a win on senior night, but because of that win, we have a great opportunity in post season. Regular season games are great but post season games are what we live for and we are excited to have a spot in the conference tournament.” – Holly Bosley

“Now that we’re in playoffs, the best thing we can do as a team is to have more desire and work ethic than our opponent. We have to give everything we have in these games, that’s what matters most!” – Kaitlyn Chavira

The GPAC quarterfinal matchup against the Concordia Bulldogs is at home on Thursday, November 4th at 7pm @ Lloyd Wilson Field.