The hallway in the HSU is lined with decorations to promote acceptance of all on campus.

Inclusion Center now open in HSU

Hastings College’s old Student Life hallway of Hazelrigg Student Union now houses the Inclusion Center, created to give greater accessibility to minority and commuter students.  The Inclusion Center is led by Steven Dunham, director for diversity and inclusion. 

The center was started to help individuals who are forgotten or “chosen second.” The Inclusion Center is open to all of campus including people of different races, ethnicities, sexualities, gender identities, religions, political beliefs, heritage, age, socioeconomic status and more.

Dunham has always been an advocate for minority populations on campus and hopes to reach more people.

This program creates a place for students to go for resources, guidance and community. There is a kitchen, a place to do homework and a room for destressing. Dunham is in charge of pushing the faculty and the college to become more diverse and accepting. 

“We’re for everybody,” Dunham said.

The center opens after a year of hiatus. HC used to have a Diversity Center located in the Daugherty Center until it began remodeling a year ago, leaving it temporarily located in the Hurley-MacDonald building.

The goal for the Center is to let people know that they aren’t struggling alone, that they have a place to be heard and to be a part of the positive change on campus and participate in diversity events on campus.