JDAC features national submissions

The Jackson Dinsdale Art Center (JDAC) Galleries opened “In Your Own Words” on Jan. 23, featuring a national juried exhibition curated by Ekaterina Popova and Alicia Puig of “Create! Magazine.”

The publication highlights emerging and underrepresented artists working in a variety of mediums through physical and in-text exhibitions, as well as artist and curator interviews.

The national juried exhibition features 20 artists, all of which being women, in the JDAC galleries and in the magazine’s upcoming issue, which contains interviews with the JDAC Galleries staff and Gallery Director Kevin Mercer.

“We titled the show ‘In Your Own Words’ because we believe that each of the artists selected has a clear, distinctive voice in their work. It’s a bit of a play on words because without using any text, they are able to express their ideas visually and communicate meaning through their use of specific colors, lines, forms, layering, and other techniques,” according to a statement from the publication.

While the exhibition was curated by Popova and Puig, they left the decisions for the show’s layout up to the JDAC Galleries staff. 

A statement from the publication said: “This exhibition was the first time where we had to imagine how many pieces and which ones would look good together without seeing the space in person beforehand. It was a huge help to have the gallery staff organize and hang the show for us after we selected the artwork.”

Mercer reached out to Popova, who brought on Puig to collaborate with and see if “Create! Magazine” would curate the national exhibition for this year. Both agreed and created an open-call application process for the show.

“It is incredibly exciting to be able to deliver high-quality gallery programming to Hastings College and the community while also engaging with the public beyond Nebraska,” Mercer said. 

“In Your Own Words” will be on display in the JDAC Galleries until Feb. 22, which will include a closing reception from 12 p.m. to 2 p.m. at the galleries.