Junior stars, Farmer and Hiscock surpass 1,000 career points

Ever since Bart Hiscock and Shandra Farmer stepped on campus in the fall of 2016, they knew they had potential to make a splash at Hastings College. Now, both three-year starters continue to contribute to the men’s and women’s basketball teams through their production on the court and their leadership within the programs.

“We went and watched her (Farmer) a lot her senior year of high school. We knew she would be good, that she scored a ton, and that she was great a leader,” said women’s basketball head coach Jina Douglas. “We were just a little worried about her size coming in. She had a good freshman year (at Hastings College) and then sophomore year, she took off. We didn’t really envision her being this great, but we knew she would be pretty good.” 

Both Farmer and Hiscock reached the 1,000-point mark back in December of 2018. Farmer reached the milestone against Morningside College on Dec. 1, scoring 27 points along with four steals and four assists. Hiscock surpassed 1,000 points against Northwestern College on Dec. 15, leading the Broncos with 27 points to go along with seven rebounds and
three assists.

“I knew that he could (be productive) because of his ability to score, and the fact that he was going to get to the free-throw line a lot. He goes inside and attacks the rim — he’s probably the best player I have ever coached at getting the rebound of his own misses. I knew that he could (hit 1,000 points)and I’m certainly happy for him that he did,” said men’s basketball head coach Bill Gavers. 

Both coaches knew that Farmer and Hiscock would find success in their careers at HC, but not how early it would happen.

Both Farmer and Hiscock play key roles for their teams, whether that be defense or offense. Now taking over the leadership roles as juniors, both coaches agree that their athletes have done a superb job taking on that task. 

“Being a starter as a freshman helped me mentally and with the whole leadership aspect,” Farmer said. “My main thing is constantly reassuring teammates of what they are good at. We trust them in their role and that’s why they are there. I try to lead by example, so hopefully that’s something they look up to and something they want to do when they get to be the leaders.” 

Hiscock says his most memorable game has to be his freshman year against fourth-ranked Northwestern College, when the Broncos won 90-85. Hiscock scored seven points that game and collected six boards. 

“We were down 20 in the first half and we came back and beat them in overtime. I hit a big three in the corner too,” Hiscock said. 

Farmer mentioned that her favorite game so far has to be against the back-to-back national champions, Marian University, last year in the second round of the NAIA National Championship. Farmer had 14 points, three rebounds, and two assists.

“That game, honestly every single person on the team, everyone was super focused on the game and we executed our offense and defense very well. We were having way more fun than usual. That was a huge win coming in as the underdog and that was super fun,” Farmer said. 

Farmer has already penciled her name into HC record books. She has made 116 3-point field goals so far, good for 10th all-time as a Bronco. She needs 315 more points be 10th on the career scoring list, and 25 more steals to be 10th in career steals. Farmer was named a National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics (NAIA) second team All-American and has received two all-conference honors. She has also been the Great Plains Athletic Conference (GPAC) player of the week five times in her career.

Hiscock has been added to the single season 500-point club with 559 points in the 2019 season. He needs 434 more points to become the 10th all-time scoring leader at Hastings. Hiscock has been tabbed GPAC Player of the Week once, earlier this February. 

Farmer and Hiscock both think their achievements are great milestones, but at the end of the day, they are trying to go out, compete, and help their team win. Both players have had incredible achievements as Broncos and have another year on the court in a Hastings jersey.