Keith May Reported Improving – Injured Seriously In Crash Near Lexington

On Nov. 17, 1936, the Collegian Staff wrote about the recovery of Keith May, who had been in an unexpected car accident resulting in serious injuries outside of Lexington. He was later rushed to a nearby hospital where the doctors were unable to examine the full extent of his injuries, due to possible internal injuries that medical officials were unaware of.

According to latest reports, Keith May, sophomore from Lexington who was seriously injured last Tuesday night in a wreck involving two trucks and a car, is improving satisfactorily.

Suffering a fractured arm, a broken nose, both cheek bones broken, and concussion of the brain along with other injuries, May was unconscious for several hours after being taken to a hospital at Lexington. Extent of his injuries could not be determined for some time but he is now said to be recovering as well as can be expected.

The accident occurred a few miles east of Lexington as May crashed head on with a westbound truck loaded with brick when he attempted to pass an eastbound truck. Both trucks upset but the drivers escaped injury.

May was returning to Hastings from a short visit with his parents. He was driving a new sedan belonging to Mrs. Betty May Swanson of Hastings whom he had driven to Kearney early in the afternoon to conduct a dancing class. He had then gone on to his home at Lexington, and was returning to Hastings when the crash occurred. 

Passing motorists freed May from the demolished Swanson car and rushed him to a Lexington hospital. For some time doctors feared possible internal injuries, and because of his serious condition were unable to make a thorough examination. His father, Charles G. May of Lexington, gave blood for the transfusion. 

May played the leading the male role in last week’s Homecoming play “The Importance of Being Earnest.” This is his third year at Hastings College but his sophomore rating is a result of an irregular schedule necessitated by outside work. He was at present working for the Kernan shoe company.