Men’s, women’s bowling third in NAIA polls

The Hastings College Bowling team continued their strong season as the team completed their final regular season home tournament, Bronco Blast IIV, on Feb. 1. HC played 36 baker games, with the men, who currently rank third in the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics (NAIA) poll, finishing first out of ten teams and the women, who are currently receiving votes in the NAIA poll, coming in third out of six teams.

On the men’s side, HC trailed most of the day to Kansas Wesleyan before rallying to take the lead from the eighth game to the last game. On the women’s side, HC hovered around the second and third spot for most of the day, unable to gain much ground on Kansas Wesleyan, who finished in first, followed by Iowa Central Community College.

“I was pretty confident the men would come back. Kansas Wesleyan bowled really well, but I was confident that the men would come back. The Kansas Wesleyan women were bowling so well that I didn’t know if we would catch them. I kind of thought we would finish second or third and we finished third,” said Head Coach Ron Hergott.

HC finished up their regular season action on Feb. 8 and 9 when they traveled to Waterloo, Iowa, to participate in the two-day weekend Cedar Valley Open. On Saturday, the HC men finished third, while the women finished fifth. The HC teams responded well on Sunday, as both finished second in their respective tournaments.

As the team gets ready for the postseason, Hergott has high expectations for his team.

“I want this program to win a national championship. All this is coming ahead really soon as far as are we going to make the national tournament? Once we make the national tournament, are we going to bowl well? Are we going to cover our spares at the National Tournament? That’s my goal for this program,” Hergott said.

The Broncos will be back in action on Feb. 29 and Mar. 1 as HC will host the NAIA Unaffiliated Grouping Tournament at Pastime Lanes at 9 a.m. The winner of the tournament will receive an automatic bid to the Inaugural Men’s and Women’s National Tournament on Mar 26-28 in Sterling Heights, Michigan.