Movie Review: “Knives Out”

Whodunit stories have always been around for many years. The idea of seeing, or reading, a crime of some sort —like murder — play out and having to use your deductive powers to figure out who the murderer is before they find out in the movies has been a subject of interest to many people.

Knives Out is a modern whodunit murder mystery that is directed by “Star Wars: The Last Jedi” Director Rian Johnson. Starring in this movie is a large cast with many big names such as Daniel Craig, Chris Evans, Jamie Lee Curtis, and Michael Shannon just to name a few. The story follows a rich family that has gained its fortune by having a famous mystery writing build an empire of novels by Harlan Thrombey (Christopher Plummer).

After Harlan’s 85th birthday party, he is found dead and thought to have committed suicide. He leaves behind a large fortune for the family. As is the norm in these stories, the police think foul play and a private detective is hired by an unknown source. The on-screen chemistry of the cast truly makes the audience feel that they are really a family, only a huge dysfunctional one.

Everyone has a motive to kill Harlan so they can have their inheritance, and no spoilers here, hijinx ensues. Each person on-screen gives it their all and makes the watcher believe they either don’t like each other or that they will do anything to gain their money they say they are “entitled” to. The story does a pretty good job in hiding each twist and turn and not revealing too much too soon, which these days can be hard to hide secrets in the plot.

Overall, the quality of this movie speaks wonders to a dedicated team that strived to make an amazing movie and the success will need to be determined by you. Recommendations for this movie and a “rating” by me would be a high recommendation and, out of 10, I would give this movie a 7.5.