SA presidential candidates present platforms

Junior Kaelan Dea and Sophomore Maggie Rogers, Student Association (SA) presidential and vice presidential candidates, presented their four campaign platforms during the 2019 SA presidential debate. This took place on April 9 in Hazelrigg Student Union Room C.

One of their campaign platforms focuses on campus safety. Dea and Rogers plan to tackle the issue of campus lighting by working with administration and the rest of campus in an effort to create a safer environment. This is an issue that has been brought up before, as 2018 SA presidential and vice presidential candidates Marc Sisson and Jerod Fox ran with it last year.

However, as they were not elected, the issue was never addressed. When Dea and Rogers started running, Dea was approached by faculty about the lack of change with campus lighting.

Another goal they have if elected is to promote student engagement by creating an “event point system.” At the end of the year, they hope to give out prizes to incentivize and reward attendance.

Voting for SA presidential and vice presidential candidates Junior Kaelan Dea and Sophomore Maggie Rogers closes at 5 p.m. Friday, April 12, 2019.

The third platform is about creating “bigger, better bingos.” Dea and Rogers plan to increase the scale of Grocery Bag Bingo events by holding them in a new location and by purchasing more groceries and prizes for those that attend the event.

Their final platform is to create an SA website with information on events, contact information for senators, comment sections and budget requests.

“We feel that SA has all of this unlocked potential and we hope to make it more than just budget approvals,” Rogers said. “We want to help improve student engagement.” At the end of the debate, Dea and Rogers said they look forward to serving the HC community and are open to suggestions that students have to give. “These are only the ideas that we have gotten approved,” Rogers said.“We have more things we want to do, but we want to wait to announce them until we get them approved.”

Voting for the election started at the conclusion of the debate via a link to students’ emails. Voting closes at 5 p.m. Friday, April 12, 2019.

The announcement of the 2019 SA president and vice president will take place during the Mr. and Ms. Bronco competition happening Friday, April 12 at 7 p.m. For those that can’t attend, an email will be sent out following the event, along with social media posts including the announcement.