Second Annual Drag Show raises $150

The second annual Hastings College student participatory drag show was hosted by HC Alliance in order to promote LGBTQ presence on campus. Students performed in the Perkins Auditorium of Fuhr Hall on April 6, at 7 p.m.

Last year, the drag show took place in Scott Studio Theater, but took place in Fuhr Hall this year. The elevated stage of Perkins Auditorium housed the event, prompting for a different style of drag show.

“It was a little bit different in that the venue was a little more formal than what we were hoping and that kind of influenced the audience’s reaction a little bit. Last year, we held it in the Scott Theater, and that was easier to get the audience to come up and participate,” said Gabi Rodgers, co-president of HC Alliance. “Perkins Auditorium is so formal that I feel a lot of people were afraid of interacting with us at first, but as Mr. Beede warmed them up they quickly got over that.”

This year’s theme for the performances was based on “Angels and Demons.” Drag kings and queens dressed in various attire in response to the theme and accompanied it with songs of their choice and choreography. Seniors Rodgers and Davianne Czarnick, Junior Morgan Stromer and First-year Caitlin Pilapil performed three sets with each varying in the number of songs for the sets. M.A.T. student Robby Collins DJed the event, having done so for previous drag shows, along with Adjunct Instructor of Voice and Choral Music Dillon Beede emceeing the event.

Rodgers said that she hopes the drag show will continue to be an annual event on campus in order to provide an atmosphere that fosters acceptance and inclusivity for not just LGBTQ students, but for all students.

“What I hope is that by having it every year, campus kind of warms up to the idea of having a drag show on campus. I hope that it would make Hastings unique and that we have a very accepting, open campus to the fact that we can have a drag show every year because that’s not something you see every day in the midwest especially. I just kind of hope that it gets a little more closer together,” Rodgers said.

The performers collected $150 in tips with the help of kittens — drag show stagehands. The tips will be given to Crimson Cupboard which helps in providing food and basic needs to food insecure students on campus.