Senate budget meeting held

The Hastings College Student Association (SA) Senate held its sixth budget request meeting of the academic school year on Dec. 4 at 8:16 p.m. in the Wilson Auditorium. Two student groups requested a total of $5,400 of the remaining $12,449 in the SA unallocated fund.

The meeting was scheduled to start at 8 p.m. but was delayed because Senate did not meet quorum in order to conduct the meeting’s business at its planned starting time.

After approval of the last meeting’s minutes, Senate moved to talk about budget requests.

Crusaders for Christ (Cru) requested $2,000 in order to attend a conference scheduled during winter break. The conference will take place in Denver, Colorado, with a cost of $275 per person. Cru requested 25 percent of what is needed to attend the conference in order to comply with Senate’s standing rules regarding funding for travel and conference costs, and because the group is also collecting donations to help pay the cost.

SA President Kaelan Dea suggested Cru request funding to attend the conference through the Student Scholarship Funds Selection Committee by applying for a Students4Students scholarship in order to alleviate Senate from funding conference costs that have generally been debated in the past — however, due to the time in which Cru needed the funds, told the group to continue their request at this time through the SA Senate. The request was approved in full.

Crimson Cupboard requested $3,400 to further continue operations because of an increase in the use of the service. $2,800 was requested to purchase food vouchers from Russ’s Market and $600 was requested for the purchase of food pantry items. The request was approved in full.

$5,400 was approved for the last meeting of the semester, leaving $7,049 in the SA unallocated fund.

The first SA Senate meeting for the spring semester is currently scheduled for Wednesday, Jan. 15, 2020, at 7:30 p.m. in the Wilson Auditorium.