Senate holds two meetings in one night, approves leadership, amendment

Student Association (SA) senators met twice on May 7, in order to conduct two separate meetings, with the first beginning at 7 p.m. in Wilson Auditorium. This comes after SA Senate did not meet quorum last week at the April 30 meeting, which was scheduled one hour earlier than the regular meeting time in order to work around this year’s Academic Showcase Day schedule.

The first meeting included funding allocation to one student group, cabinet and member approval for next year’s SA Executive Cabinet and Programming Board and a constitutional revision proposal.

Professional Business Leaders (PBL) requested a total of $1,075. Of that, $300 was requested for group T-shirts that would be used during recruitment events — about 60 shirts would be made.

Senator Parker Fleming of off-campus housing motioned for a suspension of the standing rules in order to fund the request for T-shirts. The motion passed. This is the second suspension of the semester. Standing rules were suspended to review the group’s budget request and $1,075 was approved. $235 was left in the SA unallocated fund and will go into a general campus improvement fund.

Nominations were made for SA Executive Cabinet positions by SA President-elect Kaelan Dea. Junior Timothy Ellis was nominated secretary, Junior Hannah Adams was nominated for her current position as treasurer and Sophomore Emma Redinger was nominated parliamentarian. All nominations were approved.

Nominations were also made for the SA Programming Board. Nominations for Banquet were Junior Jessica Klaudt and Sophomores Kylie Koehler and Courtney Poulson. Nominations for Special Events were Sophomores Hannah Langer and Dani Lizarraga and First-year Jo McCauley. Nominations for Entertainment Committee were Sophomore Mackenzie Waltemath and First-years Sam Johnson and Baleigh Abbott. First-year Chloe Carson was also nominated for marketing chair. All nominations were approved.

A constitutional amendment was proposed by Senator Fleming, with the addition of Dea and SA Vice President–elect Maggie Rogers. The amendment will add a clause to Section 7 of the Bylaws, adding to the responsibilities of senators — “Senators shall participate in setup and tear down of one SA event an academic semester.” The proposal was made in order to aid the programming board in setting up SA events.  After discussion on available time commitment of senators, the amendment was approved and was voted on at the second meeting. 

The second meeting commenced at 7:35 p.m. after the closing of the first. A second meeting was needed in order to pass the constitutional amendment proposed at the first meeting, in compliance with Article XIII, Section 1.b, which states that any constitutional revisions shall be passed at a second meeting by a two-thirds majority vote of the SA Senate. The amendment passed and the addition was made. This was the final Senate meeting of the academic year.