Spikers prepared for state tourney showdown – Throwback

On Nov. 3, 1977, the Collegian Staff wrote on the accomplishments of the Women’s Volleyball team as they continued on their successful journey towards victory. With wins and losses in their season record, the team continued to have high hopes for an upcoming tournament.

The Women’s Volleyball team finished the season with a 7-15, 15-10, 15-11 victory over Nebraska Wesleylan last Thursday at Wesleyan. Julie “Fred” Peterson led Hastings in spiking and serving.

The J.V. had a decisive victory over Wesleyan’s J.V., winning 15-7, 15-2. Leann Register was the top server. The leading spiker was Shari Matthews. 

The team finished the season with an overall record of 18 wins and eight losses, which is the best record since varsity volleyball started three years ago. Coach Susan Schalock said that the outstanding win/loss record was due to the efforts of the entire team and not to individual standouts.

Schalock said, “The team is mentally ready for the state tournament, finishing the season with three straight wins.” The state tournament will be held Nov. 4, 5, 6, (Fri., Sat., and Sun.) at Creighton University of Omaha. 

“The teams with the most desire and teamwork will be the two teams to come out on top,” stated Schalock. She said that momentum going into the tournament would also be a factor.

The state tournament is double elimination with the top two teams going to the Regionals in Lamoni, Iowa. 

Schalock said, “Kearney will be the team to beat. In fact, everyone will be out to get Kearney because they go to Regionals every year.” 

“Mr. Howard Hansen has acted as a stabilizing influence on the team in his capacity as an assistant coach,” stated Schalock. 

There will be 13 teams competing in the tournament. They are Bellevue, Chadron, Concordia, Creighton, Dana, Doane, Hastings, Kearney, Midland, Peru, St. Mary, Wayne and Wesleyan. Pairings and starting times were unavailable at press time. However, anyone interested should contact Schalock.