Left to right: Burke, Kennon and Hanson attend NCA annual conference

Students, professor recognized at National Communication Association annual conference

At the National Communication Association’s (NCA) annual convention in Baltimore, Maryland, one Hastings College student received a top award for a research paper, another was elected to a national advisory board and a professor was given a service award.

The NCA convention is typically attended by graduate students and professors; however, HC undergraduates attended.

Senior Alli Kennon, a communication studies major from Spicer, Minnesota; senior Elizabeth Hansen, an English major from Fremont, Nebraska; and junior Samantha Burke, a communication studies major from Denver, Colorado, represented Hastings College at the conference.

Kennon was selected to receive the Stephen A. Smith Award for presenting the top Lambda Pi Eta undergraduate research paper, “‘Victim’ or ‘Survivor?’: Navigating Self-Concept in the Wake of Sexual Violence.” Lambda Pi Eta is the National Communication Association’s honor society, which has more than 500 active chapters across the country.

Grace was awarded the Presidential Citation for Service

Hanson was a member on one of the conference’s panel discussions during the conference.

Burke was elected to the Lambda Pi Eta National Student Advisory Board as the only undergraduate student and HC student for the thrird year in a row. 

Dr. Kittie Grace, professor of communication studies and director of forensics, was awarded the national Presidential Citation for Service for her work co-chairing the group’s anti-harassment workforce.