Blake Horstmann poses for a photo with Senior Taylor Van Pelt during the meet and greet in the Hazelrigg Student Union on March 29.

“The Bachelorette” finalist returns to HC

On March 29, students had the opportunity to meet Blake Horstmann, a finalist on season 14 of “The Bachelorette.” Horstmann graduated from Hastings College in 2011 with a degree in marketing and communication studies.

Horstmann got on the “The Bachelorette” after being nominated by his sister and mother. He received a phone call from the show producers asking him to send in profiles, headshots and body photos. After this step, they had him send in a 300-page background check, and then a video. Then they had him send in professional photos. Finally, they flew him to Los Angeles for a “high-pressure interview” that took 45 minutes, according to Horstmann. The process to get on the show took about six months.

“Finals weekend” is where all the guys who are going to be on the show are put up into the same hotel, and go through more interviews. According to Horstmann, the process is extremely intense and controlled, including when the lights go out for bed.

“We each had a handler, who had a walkie-talkies and all that. A guy was trying to walk out into the hallway one time and another guy ran up to his door and slammed it closed,” Horstmann said.

Horstmann said he enjoyed his time on “The Bachelorette.”

“Some of my fondest memories are just hanging out at the house playing pool with a bunch of the guys.” Horstmann said.