Bachle focuses on team and winning before records

With already six rankings in the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics (NAIA), five out of those six being in the top 10, First-Year Student Place-Kicker Jason Bachle has already made an immediate impact for the Hastings College football team by scoring a quarter of the team’s points — 20 points to the rest of the team’s 78 points in two games.

“I knew that being the kicker I would have some emphasis in games, but I didn’t think that I would have as large of a role or impact on the total score of the games as I have had so far,” Bachle said.

In Bachle’s first collegiate start for the Broncos, he went a perfect five for five kicking points after touchdown (PATs). He also started his collegiate career by surpassing all of his high school records with a 45-yard-long field goal. Along with his first collegiate start, Bachle was named Great Plains Athletic Conference (GPAC) Player of the Week for special teams. 

“I really wasn’t expecting it, and I really didn’t know about it the first day that I got it,” Bachle said. “I actually found out about it from one of my best friends that doesn’t even go to this school, and that was a really surprising shock that it happened, because I was not expecting to get that (GPAC Player of the Week).”

Before coming to Hastings, Bachle was aware that there was no returning kicker. He knew that he would have to work hard and show that he had what it takes to claim the starting role with the Broncos. After receiving the news that he would be the starter, an extra plus for Bachle was being able to wear the number 14. Bachle’s older brother, Brandon, wore the number 14 three out of his four years as a Bronco too. 

“My brother wore 14 in high school and wore it here, and that’s when I started wearing 14 in high school because I really liked that number, so I thought I could use it as well. I wore that through high school, and I just enjoyed having that number. I saw if I could get that number here, and I got it so that meant a lot to me,” Bachle said. 

With the high expectations of potentially being one of the best kickers for the Broncos from the numbers that Bachle has already put up, he is not worried about any of the records, instead just helping the team win. Bachle said that he would just like to finish off the season kicking 75 percent of field goals and at 100 percent with PATs.