Carpenter continues to shine for women’s soccer

Now in her second season starting for the Hastings College women’s soccer team, Junior Sarah Carpenter is already making a lasting impression both on the field and in the record books. The native from Olathe, Kansas, has been playing soccer since she was able to kick a ball and has been a goalkeeper since goalkeepers were allowed in youth soccer (starting at age 11). 

Carpenter had to wait her turn before seeing the field after being behind a senior and a sophomore. 

“We all had to work for our spots. It was all good competition between the three of us,” Carpenter said.

With off-field circumstances, the cards eventually fell into place as Carpenter was named starting goalkeeper her sophomore year. 

“I did not feel too much pressure; it was more excitement than anything to get back on the field and be able to prove who I am capable to be,” Carpenter said.

During her sophomore season, Carpenter played in all 21 games along with seven shutouts. After her first collegiate start, she was named Great Plains Athletic Conference (GPAC) Defensive Player of the Week. Carpenter was also able to etch her name in the HC record books sitting in the fifth spot within season records of ‘goals against average’ at 0.70. 

Coming into her third season at HC, Carpenter is on track to break a few more records while continuing to be the starting goalkeeper for the Broncos. 

“This season I wanted to have better communication all-around because I think it starts from the back (goalkeeper). If I sound more confident than all the players in front of me, they will too,” Capenter said. 

She holds one ranking currently in the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics (NAIA), ranking 15th in goals against per game at 0.64. Carpenter has already been named GPAC Defensive Player of the Week twice this season. 

“I think it’s more encouragement for myself and for the team,” Carpenter said. “I think it gives us a lot of confidence within each other, because so many other people (on the team) including myself have received GPAC Players of the Week.”

This season, Carpenter has collected 39 saves, has only had eight goals scored on and six clean sheets all in 13 games. If the season was to end today, Carpenter would sit fourth in HC record for season records in ‘goals against average’ at 0.64. 

“I feel like it’s not pressure, but I feel like it still is,” Carpenter said. “I really don’t get nervous, if anything I feel like it’s exciting more than anything. It makes me drive and push to make myself better so I can keep improving my record.”

Carpenter has one more season with the Broncos and can end up sitting on the top of the record book within HC women’s soccer program for goals against, career total saves and play in the most games as an HC goalkeeper.