HC alumna returns as part-time counselor

Taylor Kindig may have just started at Hastings College as a student mental health counselor, but she isn’t new to the campus.

A Hastings native, Kindig originally attended Central Community College. She transferred to Hastings College for a year and a half to finish her bachelor’s degree in psychology, and graduated in May 2011. Kindig then went to the University of Nebraska Kearney and graduated with a master’s degree in clinical mental health counseling in 2014 and became a licensed independent mental health practitioner in the state of Nebraska.

Kindig decided to come back to HC because of the people on campus.

“It’s a population that I really enjoy working with, age-wise and in terms of the challenges that arise, some of which I can relate to, you know, the college experience,” Kindig said.

While she has experience helping patients with a wide range of mental health issues, Kindig is most passionate about helping those with anxiety and depression.

“I like helping people regain power over their lives because a lot of times that (depression or anxiety) makes you feel like other things are controlling you instead of you. So I like helping people tackle that and be able to take control back,” Kindig said.

Kindig also has experience with a number of issues such as adjustment disorders, anger management, attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder, childhood trauma, eating disorders, gender identity, oppositional defiance, relationship and family issues, stress management and substance abuse.

Prior to HC, Kindig worked for the Department of Health and Human Services at the Hastings Regional Center. Kindig also has a private practice with Jon Loetterle, HC’s other mental health counselor. Working at HC is different than her previous jobs due to the concentration of patients.

“At the Regional Center, it was a pretty specific, repetitive kind of thing,” Kindig said. “Here (at HC), the population is usually more specific age-wise, whereas private practice, I see a little bit of everything. But I’d say the thing I like most about here is just that most people I see are pretty motivated to get help, which is nice.”

In the few weeks that she has been here, Kindig notes that there hasn’t been too much change. The biggest difference she has noticed is the closing of ninth street and HC 2.0. It’s also different being on campus as staff versus as a student; Loetterle was actually one of her professors when she was a student. Kindig remembers that as a student, her favorite professor was Dr. Mark Zajack, associate professor of psychology.

Kindig is located in the Charles L. Stone Student Health Center and can be contacted via phone at (402) 461-1314 and by email at taylor.kindig@hastings.edu. To book appointments, go to https://taylorkindig.youcanbook.me.