Students mingle at the first Café Français event in Perkins Library.

HC gets taste of French culture and food

Dr. Bruno Penteado, assistant professor of French, hosted Café Français on Sept. 30, in the Perkins Room of Perkins Library. This event was the first of three, the second and third will be held in the same location on Nov. 4 and Dec. 2. Penteado has planned these events in his efforts to expand the French program on campus and get more students interested in learning foreign languages.

At the event, Penteado supplied French pastries along with coffee for anyone who attended. He played French music while creating an open social environment for students to ask any questions they may have had about the growing program and their possible involvement in it.

“You don’t have to minor in French to study the language. You can just come and study the language, and like I said, there are so many things you can do with knowledge of the language. Give it a try. You don’t have to commit. Just come and study the language,” said Penteado.

Penteado is teaching Beginning French 1 and 2 during the second and third blocks and will be teaching Intermediate French 1 and 2 during the fourth and sixth blocks.

Penteado studied in Switzerland, received his degree from the Université de Genève, in Switzerland, where he studied French literature. He spent years living in France where he taught English before coming back to the United States to get his Doctorate. Penteado applied for a job at Hastings College and toured the campus last spring.

“I had a wonderful campus visit. I love the campus. It’s so beautiful. My colleagues are amazing. Everyone is amazing. It’s a very wonderful environment. When they offered me the job, I was thrilled, and I took it in a heartbeat,” said Dr. Penteado.

Dr. Penteado believes it is important for students to have the opportunity to study the language. French is the sixth most spoken language in the world and is an official language in 29 countries.