Homecoming takes HC around the world

Homecoming week has returned to Hastings College for the week of Sept. 17. This year’s theme, “HC Around the World,” not only brought Greek life together for a week of activities, but also alludes to HC’s expansion of its international program next year. Greek points were awarded to all fraternities and sororities for competing in challenges every night.

On Monday night, Greeks met in Kiewit gym for the infamous bed races. Beginning with the five-legged race, a team of four raced up the basketball court, around either Kara Siedhoff, director of student engagement, or Caleb Grossman, resident director of Altman, then back to the finish line. Alpha Phi Sigma won for the sororities, and Beta Chi won for the fraternities. Following the five-legged race, Greeks pulled each other across the floor in the tug of war. Alpha Phi Sigma and Beta Chi took first again. In the egg toss, all Greeks competed against each other, with Beta Chi taking the win. Finally, Greeks pushed hospital beds down Altman drive in a timed race with two people in the back and two in the front propelling the bed and rider. Beta Chi took their third win of the night, and Alpha Phi Sigma took their second.

Also announced Monday were the candidates for Homecoming royalty. Candidates for queen are Hannah Adams, Zoe Dhalgren, Shandra Farmer, Delaney Feezell and Chloe Swoboda. For king, candidates are Holden Banks, Bryce Byrn, Kaelan Dea, Timothy Ellis and Zach Kitten.

On Wednesday, the sidewalk in front of HSU was covered with chalk as Greeks took part in Chalk Walk. Armed with this year’s Homecoming theme, teams drew hot air balloons, mountain ranges and foreign places. Greeks were able to draw on their chosen square from noon Tuesday to noon Wednesday. After the judges examined the artwork, Kappa Rho Upsilon and Alphi Phi Sigma tied for first place.

Dodgeball was on the schedule for Wednesday night. Once the smoke cleared, Sigma Alpha Iota claimed victory for the sororities. Alpha Phi Sigma took second and Kappa Rho Upsilon took third. For the fraternities, Beta Chi won, followed by Sinfonia and then Eta Phi Lambda.

On Thursday night, Greeks danced for skit night.

Tonight, the Greeks and rest of campus take a break for the Homecoming dinner in the City Auditorium at 7 p.m. The king, queen, prince and princess will be crowned at that time.

To close homecoming week, the parade will be held downtown Saturday, starting at 10:30 a.m. Football will be facing off against Dordt College at 1 p.m. on Lloyd Wilson Field. Volleyball will play Mount Marty at 3 p.m. in Lynn Farrell Arena.

Editors’ note: Due to the timing of the Collegian’s production day and publication day, the results of skit night could not be reported. The winners are announced, however, on a scoreboard next to the entrance to the Crimson Club and in HSU.