JDAC Galleries feature Breakey and Nobechi

The Jackson Dinsdale Art Center (JDAC) is currently featuring international photographers, Kate Breakey and George Nobechi.

Breakey’s show, “Beautiful Coincidences,” on display in the JDAC Main Gallery, features photographs from multiple, smaller shows but all contain nature as a subject matter.

Breakey’s larger works are from an earlier show, “Small Deaths,” that aims to display the beauty of physical life after death, through hand-colored photographs of various species of birds, flowers and other organisms. The artist uses a variety of materials, including oil paint, pencil and ink on silver-gelatin prints, to match the true color of the subject and its values within the photo.

“I make a portrait, to commemorate that life, to express my sorrow and regret, and as a gesture towards all the little creatures whose lives and deaths happen around us without notice … I make these portraits larger than life, my size, so that we’re on equal ground, so that we can meet each other face to face, and I can get to know them,” Breakey said.

Breakey’s other pieces still emphasize the beauty within nature, but shift with subject and medium into her more recent work. The shift takes form in using gold leaf application with photographs printed on glass to create orotones. Breakey’s choice in gold leaf application comes from the physical presence of the photograph. The print gleams under natural light, producing a violet, golden sheen and emphasizes the depth within the image.

The message with Breakey’s show comes from the artist’s series in lunar and solar eclipses, shown through the use of orotones, that can only be formed by sheer coincidence in a lifetime

“There is a coincidence about the relationship of the sun and the moon. The moon appears to be the same size as the sun because although the sun is 400 times wider than the moon, it is 400 times farther away. The moon was once closer to us and is moving away. We happen to live in a period in Earth’s history to experience this beautiful coincidence,” Breakey said.

The second show on display in the gallery is “Unmoored” by George Nobechi. The show provides the viewer with a glimpse of a series that spans over a three-year time period.

“In 2014, I left for New York City on what became a 990-day odyssey, as I left my career, home, possessions and all attachments except for my camera and what I could carry on my back; I became ‘unmoored,’” Nobechi said.

The artist uses windows as a recurring motif to address humanity and social structure in relation to nature. Stills in time, these images work to show activity or the presence of human action.

Nobechi’s start to the series on becoming released from material weight is inspired by his childhood, growing up in Tokyo, Japan.

“As a child, I spent many hours gazing from my high-rise bedroom window out at the sprawling city below and found a calmness through that frame that was elusive whenever I ventured out of the sanctuary of my room — in the stillness of the scenes I encountered on my journey, I could sense a toll of a distant, but familiar bell calling to me like faded memories being brought back to the surface,” Nobechi said.

Each photograph uses windows to display a world beyond the comfort of being within a space, but also frames to show a balance between inner and outer world activity, whether it is natural or industrial activity.

“Beautiful Coincidences” and “Unmoored” will be on display in the JDAC until September 20.