Fremaux instructs students during her open figure drawing session on portrait drawing.

“Carnal Unknowing” on view

Fremaux’s drawings work to address the stigma of the body in a nude form and the body in its process of changing and aging through the use of collaged, potentially ever-expanding drawings. These works are done in various charcoals and chalk pastels, used to create the subject matter of the human body. 

In a lecture given to students, faculty and staff on Oct. 13, Fremaux talked about the process and conceptualization of her work and what that means ethically as an artist and a viewer of the work. 

“I translate the color that I’m seeing. I’m not doing that with an intention to be weird about skin, I’m interested in a skin that is unruly and unregulated by academic precepts of neutral tones and earth tones, and ‘this is how to build a skin.’ I don’t want to know it. I want to unlearn it. I want to experience that skin in fresh and unconstrained ways,” Fremaux said. “Through collage, paper also has no end. It’s not like the bound space of a canvas… a piece of paper can be easily glued or sutured to another piece and it can infinitely expand.”

Pictured is Fremaux’s “[AMANDA],” done in pastel, watercolor and resin on paper.

These paper works are sealed in an epoxy resin that Fremaux says might evoke the view of a bodily fluid or veil of reflection which causes the viewer to move around the drawing to experience the entire work.

“That screen of resin over top serves to withhold the body that is drawn there, so it drops this veil between (the subject and the viewer). In so doing, the body is visible but it’s not fully haveable; it can’t be fully accessed,” Fremaux said.

Fremaux works from her phone screen using the photos of friends and partners that have asked to be a part of her work in order to quickly view various parts of the body when working on the large-scale drawings in her studio — these photos coming from sessions in which the artist photographs her subject.

“In an uncoerced and uninstructed encounter, we behold and hold space for one another. I hold a camera against my belly… through the digital vision of the camera, the person’s body is atomized, re-encrypted into discrete cells of color,” Fremaux said in her artist’s statement.

Fremaux held an open figure drawing session on Oct. 12, working with students on how they go about the process of drawing the figure and the portrait in an accurate and precise form. They gave a portrait demo and then drew alongside students, giving advice along the way on the approaches of technical drawing.

The exhibition will be on view in the JDAC Galleries until Jan. 6.