KFKX Selects – May 10, 2019

When it comes to what music to listen to on the way to class, work, or back home for the weekend, you cannot deny that you have that urge to go to music of yesteryears to have that sense of nostalgia. And that is exactly what I tapped into when I decided to take on KFKX Select. I decided to do ten of my favorite 2000’s hits. – Andy Chase

Soulja Boy “Crank That (Soulja Boy)” – 2007

Crank That (Soulja Boy)” was a staple for any middle school dances. There are very few songs that you could count on being at the dance, and this was one of those. Also, who listens to this song and does not do the Soulja Boy dance?

Flobots “Handlebars” – 2008

Handlebars” has a bit of a dark ending, but whenever you can sing about seeing a platypus and handing out a million vaccinations in the same song, you did something right.

Nickelback “Rockstar” – 2006

Nickelback is one of those bands where you either love them or hate them. “Rockstar” was one of my favorite songs because it is a song you can sing along with and get into the feels of the weekend.

Black Eyed Peas “Pump It” – 2006

Whenever I listen to this song and it gets to the part where the Black Eyed Peas start singing “Pump it! Louder!” I have the insatiable urge to turn my music up louder and louder.

The Killer “Mr. Brightside” – 2003

For this song, I have to give a shout-out to the men’s soccer team for having this in their playlist for warm-ups. This is another one of those songs that you have to have.

P!nk “F**kin’ Perfect” – 2010

This is truly the only song that has a strong background to it on my list. Despite the vulgar title to the song, it has a very good beat, but the story behind it is touching. It talks about someone who feels down and out, borderline suicidal. P!nk is able to talk about even when you feel down and out, that “you’re… perfect.”

Sean Paul “Temperature” – 2006

I would recommend this song to anyone if they wanted to add some Dancehall and reggae fusion to their playlist.

Shaggy (ft. Rik Rok) “It Wasn’t Me” – 2000

Despite the promiscuous content, this is another must have song for any 2000’s playlist, with people being able to get behind the upbeat reggae fusion. Listeners can also get a chuckle out of the lyrical conversation between Shaggy and Rik Rok of Shaggy literally getting caught with his pants down.

Kanye West (ft. Lupe Fiasco) “Touch The Sky” – 2006

What 2000’s hits list does not have a Kanye West song? West sings about the struggles in his life throughout “Touch the Sky.” It is struggle time, but hopefully some Yeezy can pick you up through these last few days.

Katy Perry “Last Friday Night (T.G.I.F.)” – 2011

It’s the last Friday of the school year; everyone is preparing for Bronco Bash and readying up to take their finals. Being able to have an upbeat song really helps the mood and to get you over that final hump, with graduation in mind for the seniors, and time to go home for everyone else.