Mary Lanning and Bryan plan merger amid Lloyd’s arrival

On Aug. 13, it was announced in a press release that Hastings College and Bryan College of Health Science (BCHS) will be collaborating with Mary Lanning Healthcare (MLH) regarding the development of a new medical and nursing program. 

This collaboration was mutually agreed upon after a year of related planning regarding separate partnerships. Dr. Rich Lloyd is serving as Hastings College’s new executive president while simultaneously maintaining his position as the president of BCHS.

“Given my history with Bryan and HC, it seemed the right time to put the pieces together so we could see what’s doable to provide additional educational opportunities in South Central Nebraska and address workforce needs and shortages,” Lloyd said. 

According to the Nebraska Center for Nursing, six counties in the state currently have no registered nurses.

Set to be completed at the end of this fall, a feasibility study is being conducted by officials from all three institutions to determine what is needed to make the collaboration successful and efficient. After the feasibility study is completed, the program should begin operation in 2022. 

With the current proposed plan, enrolled students would study at both HC and BCHS for general education and medical courses respectively, while MLH will serve as the clinical education setting for the nursing courses taught by BCHS faculty. The program will offer a four-year Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN).

The nursing program is the initial focus of this collaboration but other avenues can be established once the framework is set to fully utilize the connections. 150 students may be enrolled in the program after four years, many living on-campus at HC.

“We also want to look at how Bryan’s other offerings match up with HC and provide some added benefit or pathways for students and similarly how HC offerings might enhance what students can do as Bryan students.  It will be a reciprocal partnership, with more than just nursing or just clinical programs then,” Lloyd said.   

The proposed nursing program will not replace the existing partnership between MLH and Creighton University, which is an accelerated 12-month BSN program.