Meyer rediscovers passion in high jump

After being a standout volleyball player for the past four years for Hastings College, senior Sage Meyer has now taken her talent to the track and field team, high jumping for the Broncos this season.

“One of my friends on the track team reached out to me saying they needed more high jumpers,” said Meyer. “Doing volleyball for four years, having that take up so much of my time, and then having nothing, that was weird. I think it started off with me trying to fill my time, but I’ve actually really grown to like it again. I can’t lie, I have always wondered how I would have held up in college track and now I get to actually find out.”

Meyer, a Bellevue West High School alumna, made the Nebraska high school state tournament all three years she competed in track. She placed in the top three every year she went to state too. She finished third place freshman year, second place sophomore year and second place senior year, along with All-State honors.

Meyer’s personal record in high school was 1.7 meters (5’ 7”). Her most recent mark of 1.59 meters (5’ 2.5”) was at the Doane University Jim Dutcher Invitational on April 21.

“It was rough at first. Mostly because once volleyball ended, I didn’t really work out until I decided to do track. I actually just started jumping decently the last two weeks. Volleyball and high jump are two totally different movements and muscles. It’s been frustrating, but I’m finally feeling my groove again,” Meyer said.

Meyer’s volleyball career was a successful one. She was a four-time Great Plains Athletic Conference (GPAC) All-Conference player, National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics (NAIA) all-tournament team honoree, and a member of the 2016 NAIA national championship team.

“Doing track in college was never really something I talked about seriously. I knew my heart was in volleyball and I knew that’s what I wanted to do. I wanted to be able to put all my focus into volleyball. Plus, with the schedule that volleyball keeps, I think it would have been very difficult to do two sports,” Meyer said.

Meyer needs to hit at least a “B” qualifying standard of 1.64 meters (5’ 4.5”) to qualify for the NAIA Outdoor Track and Field National Championship, which is just under a month away.