“Outlook offers little promise: Summer Job market may be tight”

Collegian Reporter

On April 23rd, 1981, Staff Writer Melissa Moore wrote about the difficulties that were being faced in order for students to find adequate job opportunities. From many points of view, it was determined that the primary cause of lower job hirings was blamed on the economy. 

Melissa Moore

Staff Writer

Students who are unable to find summer employment may be able to blame it on the sad state of the economy, but another scapegoat may be the past performances of their peers.

“For what it’s worth, employers, quite frankly, in this conservative area have an aversion to hiring young people because they are unstable and uncaring,” stated Bev Cooper of  the Nebraska Job Service. “I realize this is a very general statement, but we receive a lot of complaints.” 

Cooper made this comment in connection with inquiries into the summer job outlook for college age students in this area. The picture does not look promising.

“Economic times in the past eighteen-months to two-years have made the summer job market very tight. It’s hard to define a trend in changes for the better.”

“For one thing,” Cooper said, “employers don’t have the need for additional people. Secondly, minimum wage is so high at $3.35 per hour and other openings are fairly competitive, it’s too costly. People just aren’t hiring summer workers like they used to. They compensate by assigning additional hours to the present staff.”

It used to be a common practice to hire summer workers to fill in for vacationing employees, Cooper said, but businesses are getting by without replacements. “The economy has played havoc on hiring practices by employers. Unfortunately we can’t change that.”

Cooper did say, however, that it was too early to predict the market in June first. The Job Service will be calling area businesses between mid-May and early June about summer job openings.

Cooper said, “There are plenty of opportunities for enterprising college students in the area of detasseling. It’s very lucrative, with earnings up to $800 to $1000. There are several hundred openings. If 200 students walked in my office right now I could give them all positions.” She indicated she believes college students believe themselves too sophisticated for such a task.