Road Crew is active organization

On Dec. 10, 1976, Staff Writer Cindy Jamieson wrote on the services offered by the group known as Road Crew. These entailed ways to educate oneself on goals that we can set for ourselves with determined means to accomplish such goals. This also included the possibilities of learning from one’s mistakes and doing our best to make the world a better place. 

Road Crew is an independent subcommittee of the Spiritual Life Committee and by virtue of that fact is a part of the Student Association. All of its members, about 30 of them, are students of the college. A wide variety of majors and denominations are involved. Sponsored by Dr. and Mrs. Charles Warner, the group travels to churches in Nebraska to participate in worship and fellowship with people outside of the college community. 

The above could very well be quoted in official PR material as a basic description of RC and its services. It would be a correct, concise definition; even so, it is not complete. As with any other organization, there is much more to this group than its outward activity. I’d like to share some of my observations about the group, based on 3 ½ years of active participation. 

First of all, I am told that there is, and I can often see, a holier-than-thou attitude on the part of Road Cruisers. This is not anything to be proud of, nor is it something to be denied. Often in the heat of having found something that suits and fulfills them, individuals will bore their peers to tears (and/or jeers) by making sure that everyone else hears about it. This may be called a fault, or it may be called enthusiasm. Sometimes it’s called the “God Squad.”

Hypocrisy remains high on the list of campus crimes. We are none of us perfect, but all too often fact becomes abridged, ignored or completely forgotten. To say one thing and do another is not unusual, but that doesn’t make half-truths right or valid. Although occasions may arise when a previous commitment or comment is negated, the usual goal is to try to support our words and ideas with (there’s that word again) responsible action. This principle is a universal one, and should, in one way, be restricted to sectarian organizations. People have different goals and use different means to accomplish them, and unfortunately, not all means are selected ethically or thoughtfully. It is never enough to excuse oneself from irresponsible action; there is an obvious need to educate that same self as to what means are more appropriate. Mistakes will be made; we need to learn to correct or “disciple” each other.

There are a number of nitty-gritty shortcomings in the group called Road Crew; but it would be unfair to conclude this overworked essay without examining our stronger points.

Road Crew does not claim to have all the answers. That is fortunate, because they don’t have them. They do keep looking for them, though, and we all know how frustrating that is. Dealing with learning becomes exciting when there is someone to share it with. The group’s personality comes through here, because ideally our sharing stems from corporate concern. 

In addition, Road Crew provides a unique opportunity for creativity and learning about organization and expression. Enough of the students on campus have written term papers to realize that putting ideas into living, relevant words is a challenge; writing a worship service that will speak to a diverse and often unfamiliar congregation is every bit as challenging. It is also refreshing. 

Strange as it may seem, there are students who actively seek weekend activities. This points out another advantage to a student who wants to be active without being tied to the dorm. Although most of the towns visited by the group aren’t bustling metropolises, the weekend excursions allow an opportunity to see Nebraska and taste its small-town flavor.

Finally because of the scope of its outreach and enthusiastic membership Road Crew has become an effective public relations instrument for the college. As long as their representation of the college remains honest, I am convinced that their activities should be supported. Isn’t it strange that the good points of this particular committee are similar to those of other campus organizations? Not really: It is a unifying factor, and something to strive for. Road Crew has a reason to be and we can be glad for that. If indeed the chief end of man is to glorify God and enjoy him forever, then it is only proper that our responsible pursuit of that joy be continued.