Senator Parker Fleming (right) proposed the new standing rules that SA Senate voted on and approved. Senator Fleming will also be part of the SA Election Commission for this spring SA elections.

SA Senate Approves LocalGlobal in full

Student Association met March 4, in Wilson Auditorium at 7 p.m. for the third meeting SA senate meeting of the 2019 spring semester. A total of $3,000 was requested by one student group from the remaining $6,725 for the rest of the semester.

After approving last meeting’s minutes, Senate moved to vote on representatives to serve on the Executive Election Commission board. This board is responsible for running elections for next year’s Executive Cabinet positions. Three members of SA applied for positions representing Senate, Student Judiciary Council (SJC) and SA Programming Board; one from each division. Senate approved all three applicants. Senior Caroline Black represents the Programming Board, Senator Parker Fleming of off-campus housing represents Senate and Senior Bree Fluckey represents SJC.

Senate then opened to new business by revising standing rules. A revision was made to wording the structure of standing rules in order to reduce ambiguity. Another revision limited Senate to approving only 25 percent of conference fees. Both revisions passed unanimously — though ten Senators were excused absences.

Senate then opened to approve requests for funding allocations. LocalGlobal requested a total of $3,000 for Hunger and Homeless Awareness Week during the 2019 fall semester. These funds specifically cover 27,000 meals for the event LocalGlobal hosts during that week. Hearts and Hands of Hastings, the organization which provides the materials to pack meals, allowed LocalGlobal to pay in advance and put materials on hold until the event this coming fall. LocalGlobal wanted to make this request in advance to ensure that they would be able to meet their goal amount of meals packed and relieve Senate of stress in deciding on large funding allocations in the fall. After discussion, Senate approved LocalGlobal’s request in full. This comes after struggling to receive all the requested funds over the past two years.

“We just wanted to thank you guys as seniors and having to leave this group … It really means a lot to us to know that they’re gonna have a little bit of help and they’ll be in good hands with these two (sophomore Danielle Lizarraga and first-year Alianna Higgins),” said LocalGlobal Co-President Savanna Rosenbaum. Rosenbaum and Mandy Amberg, LocalGlobal co-president, requested funds multiple times last semester but never received the full requested amount Senate asked them to come back in the spring to see if any allocations could be made.

A total of $3,725 remains in the SA unallocated fund for the remainder of this semester.