SEAC, a Hastings College group raises awareness and makes tremendous impact on the campus community

This year, the Student Environmental Action Coalition (SEAC) has been making a big impact on the Hastings College campus community by spreading environmental awareness through various activities and projects. SEAC, affected by decreased group membership and projects over the 2019-2020 school year, is trying to revitalize its significance and role on campus with these initiatives.

“SEAC is here to remind the HC community of the impact every member has every single day. We realize it is easy for everyone to forget about their impacts on the environment and the adverse consequences resulting from our actions; especially when it interferes with our everyday lives,” said Matthew Urbanski, president of SEAC. “Our organization aims to show the HC community what is at stake if we do not consider what our actions do to the environment and teach what we can all do about it.”

Since 2009, the organization has done various projects and activities that have brought change and insight into how students can be environmentally conscious. So far this year SEAC has held two events, a Kahoot night where individuals answered questions about environmentalism and environmental impacts to win prizes and an activity where students brought their old shirts to make reusable grocery bags. SEAC also informed individuals during the shirt-bag project about the option to buy a $5 reusable to-go container at the Hazelrigg Student Union dining hall that can be exchanged for a clean container every meal.

“At every event, students learn something about their impact on the environment and how they can lessen that impact, which leads to more awareness on the community level and ultimately more action,” Urbanski said.

SEAC is planning on holding four events on campus every month. Today, there will be a chance for students to watch the documentary, “A Life On Our Planet,” which is about the environmental changes that have happened on Earth over the past 60 years due to human impact. On Sunday, Feb. 21, students can join SEAC in making posters depicting environmental issues in order to spread awareness around campus.

We realize that the work we do on campus is very important and needs to take place as often as possible,” Urbanski said. “Any improvements upon environmental issues will be good, but we also want to tackle big issues in our community. These issues consist of the climate change crisis, the ecological crisis, recycling and getting rid of unnecessary plastics. Helping decrease the impact of these issues in any way will benefit ourselves and billions of people around the world.”