Senior Autumn Teff, co-president of Alliance, details to SA Senate what Alliance is requesting money for this fall semester.

Senate approves requests for three student groups

The Hastings College Student Association (SA) held their second budget request meeting on Oct. 9 at 7:30 p.m. in Wilson Auditorium. Three student groups requested a total of $710 of the available $19,130 left in the SA unallocated fund. 

Senators finished the meeting in about 15 minutes, compared to the last SA Senate meeting — which ran for about two hours. 

After approval of last meeting’s minutes, Senate moved to talk about progress of SA committees. Senator Alex Paxton of the Faculty Senate Curriculum Committee said that the committee has finalized the official start date for the academic school year for the next five years. The committee also opened discussion on rescheduling times during midday blocks in order to accommodate for an extended lunch time. SA President Kaelan Dea talked to senators about serving at the Campus Connect Desk, and homecoming planning as well — asking if senators would volunteer to help set up for the event.

After discussing committee meetings and notes, Senate moved to open new business and approve funding requests.

Alliance requested $410 for upcoming planned organization events. This comes after the organization requested funds at the last meeting, where SA Senate cut $420 from the group’s request and told the group to come back to request funds closer to the events’ dates. These events include an LGBTQIA history booth and Kahoot game night, a Halloween party, a Veteran’s Day event and an event for Transgender Day of Rememberance. 

Alliance decreased their request amount by $10 from the remaining funds needed for events. After the request, Senate had no discussion on it and approved the request in full.

[AG]Vocates, again, requested $200 for their upcoming Ultimate Farmer Challenge event. This comes after the organization’s request was tabled at the last meeting due to there being no organization representative. Senate approved the request in full without discussion.

Cru (Campus Crusade for Christ) requested $100 for a Harvest Party. Of that, $70 will cover funds for food, drinks, plates, napkins, etc. and $30 will be used for minute-to-win-it game prizes. Senate had no discussion and the request was approved in full. 

A total of $710 was approved and $18,420 remains in the SA unallocated fund for the rest of the fall semester. The next SA Senate meeting will take place on Oct. 23 at 7:30 p.m. in the Wilson Auditorium.