Stogdill balances student and athlete

“Student-athlete” is a phrase that gets talked about a lot throughout high school and college. When prospective students are deciding where to go to college, they have to look at what college fits them both academically and athletically. For Senior Alex Stogdill, he has been able to balance both being a student and an athlete. 

“Time management and prioritizing how you use your time is very important,” Stogdill said. “That is a very precious commodity and you only get a limited amount every single day so you have to use it effectively — figuring out a way to manage your time effectively and really prioritize what comes first. Being a student-athlete pretty much says it in the name — but student, got to get your school work done and take that stuff seriously, and for your athletics in terms of training and practice.”

While being a placekicker and punter for the football team the past four years, Stogdill has maintained a 4.0 GPA while majoring in  biology with a minor in chemistry. Stogdill is also a part of various groups and clubs on campus including being president of Beta Beta Beta, vice president for Alpha Chi, an intern through the human performance program at Hastings College, member of Fire Circle and a member of College Acquaintance Rape Educators (C.A.R.E.).

“The experiences you have both on and off the field with your teammates and coaches … that has been extremely rewarding. I have made lifelong relationships through athletics, which I am very grateful for. I also learned the value of hard work and seeing how athletics plays a bigger role in the bigger picture of things in the terms of life,” Stogdill said. 

Stogdill has racked up numerous academic awards through the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics (NAIA). He has been named a Daktronics/NAIA Scholar-Athlete two times and is a two-time recipient of the Google Cloud Academic All-American NAIA award. Along with those national awards, Stogdill has now added a Hastings College Who’s Who award to his list. 

After college, Stogdill will take a gap year, during which he plans to get his certified nursing assistant  certification in Hastings. In the next year, Stogdill also plans on working, saving up money for medical school, and then eventually applying for medical school. After completing his education, Stogdill hopes to be a physician; however he is not sure what he wants to specialize
in yet.