Theater seniors finish season

The Hastings College theatre department produced its last show of the semester, “A Comedy of Errors,” at the Scott Studio Theatre May 2-5.

The show was chosen by Kara Wooten, assistant professor of theatre. Wooten has directed several Shakespeare plays, but this was her first time directing “A Comedy of Errors.” The last Shakespeare play the HC theatre department performed was in the fall of 2013, “A Midsummer Night’s Dream,” according to Aaron Spracklin, assistant director.

The show is about Antipholus and Dromio visiting Ephesus in search of their twin brothers. Confusion ensues through mistaken identity as the duo roams the city.

“A Comedy of Errors” was the final HC performance for four seniors: Spracklin, who played Antipholus of Ephesus; Alex Rieflin, who played Duke Solinas; Sabrina Maxwell, who played Adriana; and Carly Cremers, who played the courtesan. 

“It didn’t hit me until I walked off stage and we had our curtain call … It felt like a nice comma, but definitely not an end to the theater for me,” Rieflin said. 

Rieflin, who was also the fight director, said HC’s theater performances do not usually have someone with his job title The show had several fight sequences, and Wooten, who is the president of the Academy of Dramatic Combat in Canada, is teaching a stage combat class this year.

“I found it (being fight director) enjoyable because I want to have a stage combat career,” Rieflin said.

Six students, including Rieflin, are testing for their actor combatant certification this Saturday at 10 a.m. in Scott Studio Theatre. The event is open to the public.

This show’s preparation was more intense than last year’s. Instead of 1.5–2 hours allotted for practice every day, four hours were allotted for practice. This amount of time is closer to professional theater standards, according to Wooten. 

“The leads definitely were there quite a bit more than they’re used to being there. But, if you want a decent show, you have to put in the time,” Wooten said.