This Week in History

September 15th, 2021

New HC Faculty Members Include Twelve Veterans

Summary

On Sept. 18, 1946, the Collegian Staff wrote about the recent new faculty members being hired at Hastings College, from a vast group of veterans and returning recent graduates. These new faculty members were hired to represent many of the educational departments on the HC campus for the upcoming academic year of 1946. 

Article

Joining the Hastings College faculty this summer and fall was one of the largest groups of new members in the history of the school. Among them are twelve veterans of military service and several graduates of Hastings College who are returning as instructors.

Mr. Henry Johnson, associate professor of violin, has assumed the position as director of the Hastings Symphony Orchestra and has already started rehearsals for the season’s concerts. While at the University of Arizona, he organized the University Little Symphony. After entering the army, he continued his directing, taking charge of army music organizations both in this country and overseas.

Two more army veterans have joined the music department. They are David B. Schaub of Oconto Falls, Wisconsin, and Millard Cates of Bancroft, Nebraska. Instructor in piano, organ and theory, Mr. Schaub earned his A.B. and B.M. degrees at Lawrence College and a M.A. degree at Harvard University. He spent 50 months overseas in France, Greece and Palestine. Mr. Cates, a Hastings College graduate of 1941, joined the faculty as an instructor of voice. After serving with the 97th Division band in this country, he went overseas where he did vocal work.

Miss Barbara Taylor, piano instructor, is from Hutchinson, Kansas. She is a graduate of Colorado Women’s College and the University of Texas. In addition to being an outstanding recitalist, accompanist and instructor, Miss Taylor was an accomplished artist, having won prizes with some of her oil paintings.

Holding a master’s degree from the Cincinnati Conservatory of Music is Miss Marysue Barnes. She joins the conservatory faculty as an instructor of the violoncello. While at Cincinnati, she studied with Arthur Bowen, and this past year she did advanced cello study in New York with Frank Miller.

Darel McFerren, ‘31, returns to Hastings College as assistant professor of history. From Juniata, Nebraska, he holds a master’s degree from Northwestern University and has done graduate study at Columbia University. For five years Mr. McFerren was principal of a mission school on the island of Sumatra and followed this with two year’s service in the navy. 

The appointment of Robert W. Bell, navy veteran, marks an enlargement of the economics and business administration faculty because of the large registration of veterans in the department. Mr. Bell holds a B.Sc. degree from Kearney State Teachers College and an A.M. from Colorado State College of Education.

Frank T. Alusow of Pocahontas, Iowa, is associate professor of speech and will be in charge of the revived and expanded college radio department. He is a graduate of Cornell College, Mt. Vernon, Iowa, and the University of Iowa. He was discharged from the navy early this year.

Harry Schlicting, army veteran from Tripoli, Iowa, comes to Hastings College as an instructor in history and German. A graduate of Iowa State Teachers College, he has done graduate work at the Universities of Iowa, Oregon, and Chicago.

Two former service chaplains have joined the faculty of the college. They are Dr. Leonard DeMoor, assistant professor of philosophy and sociology, and the Rev. Edward Trefz, associate professor of Bible and religion. Dr. DeMoor saw overseas service as an army chaplain in the Philippines, New Guinea and Japan. He received his Th.M. from Western Theological Seminary, Holland, Michigan. He did additional work at the University of Michigan and Harvard University and received a Ph.D. from Hartford Seminary Foundation.

The Rev. Trefz was a navy chaplain before being discharged. A native of Iowa, he holds the Bachelor of Arts degree from Coe College, Cedar Rapids, Iowa, and the Bachelor of Divinity degree from McCormick Theological Seminary, Chicago, Illinois.

Mrs. Mary Elizabeth Weyer Nutting, ‘37, returns to her alma mater as associate professor of English. Following graduation from Hastings College with highest honors, Mrs. Nutting completed work for her master’s degree at the University of Nebraska and did additional graduate work at the University of Wisconsin.

Miss Mabel Coverdill comes to Hastings as assistant professor of home economics from Emporia, Kansas, where she taught in the high school for 18 years. She has received degrees from Emporia College and the University of Wisconsin. She has also completed graduate work at UCLA and Kansas State.

Joining the language department as an instructor of oral Spanish is Miss Rebecca Hernandez. She is from Chihuahua, Mexico, where she taught in a Methodist school for several years.

Also in the English department is Mrs. L. E. Owens, wife of Coach Larry Owens. She is an associate professor and is a graduate of Winona, Minnesota, State Teachers College. 

Also with the college this fall are Garland Baker, grounds caretaker, and Coaches Larry Owens and Ed Waltemath, both of whom are introduced on the sports page. Mr. Waltemath is also a student admissions counselor. – W.B., R.L.

Bronco Wives To Have Social Party 

Bronco Wives, an organization composed of wives of veterans attending Hastings College, is planning a party and picnic to be held this evening at Bellevue House and Heartwell Lake. It will be a covered dish affair. Members should contact Mrs. John Warwick at Bellevue House, or telephone 1391W.