Whitey’s on fire: Whitehall breaks most career goals record

On Sept. 2, Senior Daniel Whitehall broke another Hastings College men’s soccer record, with the most goals scored as a Bronco. With his lone goal of the game against Grand View, Whitehall was able to tally his 74th goal in a Bronco jersey. The previous record was set back in 2010 by Jordan Green with 73 goals.

“It was a great feeling when I scored against Grand View because I knew the record was mine. It was amazing having all the lads running over to me and being able to celebrate with them and then going on to celebrate a big win too,”  Whitehall said.

This is not the first record Whitehall has broken while at HC. During his sophomore campaign, Whitehall broke the most goals scored in a season with 34. In that same year, Whitehall was named National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics Player of the Year and Great Plains Athletic Conference (GPAC) Player of the Year.

“I look back on my sophomore year with very fond memories. It was a great year with a great group of guys, and that was the season that really set me on my way to break the all-time record,” said Whitehall. “But that being said, I would give up all the records for another national championship this time round.”

Since his freshman season, Whitehall has been a dominant force in the GPAC earning three consecutive Offensive Player of the Year awards. Whitehall expressed he has learned much from his coaches and teammates, who continue to push him every day.

When asked what his most memorable goal scored at HC was, he said it had to be the goal for his hat trick against Bellevue in 2016.

“When I secured my hat trick, only a few people know why that was so special for me, so I’ll keep that a secret,” Whitehall said.

With 14 more in-season games, potential post-season and four goals already on the season, Whitehall looks to better his record.

“I would love to get to 100,” said Whitehall. “I think I can do it.”

Whitehall will be moving forward to chase the goal and help the Broncos secure more wins to eventually go to Florida for nationals. Whitehall would like to thank every player he has ever played with as he could not do what he does without each and every single one of them.