Zombieland 2: Double Tap doesn’t disappoint

In the early 2000s, the zombie movie genre grew in popularity with movies like ‘02’s “28 Days later,” ‘04’s “Shaun of the Dead” and ‘09’s big hit “Zombieland.” The genre grew in a way many movies had tried and failed when they tried to combine horror and comedy. “Shaun of the Dead” and “Zombieland” were two movies that combined the genres and gained a large following as classic movies. This large fanbase warranted the talks of sequels to both films.

With “Shaun of the Dead” in its own universe, that left “Zombieland” as the sequel choice. However, fans would have to wait and wonder if a sequel would ever emerge after many back-and-forth debates on whether it would even ever happen. But in 2019, fans had to wait no longer when the sequel came out, “Zombieland 2: Double Tap.”

The sequel stars the same cast as before with Tallahassee (Woody Harrelson) and his cohorts Columbus (Jesse Eisenberg), Wichita (Emma Stone) and Little Rock (Abigail Breslin), all ten years older than when the first film was produced. That meant that the story must take place ten years after the first, and it does not disappoint.

We see that the four have made a family with Columbus and Wichita in a relationship and Tallahassee taking on a father figure role to Little Rock. The whole movie is full of the same type of comedy that made the first movie great, while also changing enough that it does not seem stale and is self-aware at times. After a father-daughter fight and Columbus popping the question, the two female leads leave and head out on their own. Throughout the rest of the run time, we see more survivors within the world and how they are getting along, and that the zombies are even evolving to become more deadly and a force to be reckoned with.

Some jokes do not land, but what comedy is perfect with every joke? Some story elements seem to be forced or come out of nowhere; however, no movie is ever perfect in everything they try to do. The whole ride is a comedic family adventure with heart, horror and hilarious entertainment for everyone.